If you’re starting to deal with a complex family issues like divorce, legal separation, property disputes and more, then you’ll likely need to hire a good family lawyer to ensure you don’t get the raw end of the deal. But with so many lawyers in the market, how do you find one that’s the right fit for your needs? While finding good family lawyers serving the city of Sydney may seem like a time consuming task, it’s necessary to make sure you’re well represented. Here are some considerations when hiring family lawyers in Sydney.
Be Realistic With Your Expectations
You must remember that you will go through a legal process, which isn’t something that can be turned in your favour overnight. Watch out for lawyers who promise you the world without properly assessing your personal situation. A reliable Sydney family lawyer will undertake the following actions:
- Assess your personal situation.
- Offer a realistic picture of how you are placed against opposing parties.
- Explain the whole legal process, along with expected timeframes.
- Be clear about the difficulty of your case.
- Help you understand how the case will impact your life and family.
You need to keep in mind that any domestic matter, whether divorce or property disputes, will change the dynamics of your family. Your lawyer’s job is to make sure they represent you in the best capacity. Being realistic with your expectations will help you better understand how your attorney can represent you throughout the legal process.
Consider What You Want From The Legal Process
Before you decide to hire a family lawyer, make sure you have a clear understanding of what you want from the legal process. Consider the following:
- If you are going through a divorce, can you find a way to negotiate custody and settlement through a professional mediator instead of a lengthy court battle? Or is court your only option?
- If you are in the middle of a property dispute, can everyone come together outside of court to discuss the terms of inheritance? Or are you prepared for expensive battles in court?
A Sydney family lawyer can help negotiate terms with opposing parties without taking the matter to court, which may be your most preferred option if you’re looking to save yourself major heartache and money.
Check Whether The Attorney Specialises In Your Particular Needs
Every person has a different requirement from a family lawyer, so make sure you choose a family lawyer that specialises in your particular needs. Some lawyers may specialise in divorce, while others are more adept at property law. Consider the following:
- What is the lawyer best known for?
- Does he or she come with referrals or recommendations?
- Has the lawyer handled multiple cases similar to yours in the past?
- How many cases has the lawyer won on behalf of clients?
- What is the average time the lawyer takes to come to a settlement?
- How many years of experience does the lawyer have?
- How will the lawyer interact with the attorneys of opposing parties in your case?
Lawyers that have been practicing for a longer time will likely have more intimate knowledge of family law proceedings in the region, and will be better equipped to navigate through a courtroom. A good lawyer will undertake his or her job free from all emotion to ensure the best possible outcome for you.
Shop Around For Family Lawyers
You don’t have to choose the first lawyer you come across, so take your time and shop around before making a decision. Consider the following:
- Get quotes from multiple attorneys before narrowing down your options.
- Interview a few attorneys in person before you hire someone for your needs.
- Prepare a list of questions to see how they respond to your needs.
- Ask for references – and make sure you check them.
While attorneys may specialise in family law, they should have the experience to help you better understand the process, so price shouldn’t be the sole factor to help you make your decision. Often, the cheapest lawyer may also be the most inexperienced, which can put your entire case into disarray and you can end up with nothing.
Going through any family dispute, no matter what it is, can be both financially and emotionally draining. You can make it worse by hiring the wrong family lawyer, so take the time to find someone experienced who can handle your situation with professionalism and efficiency. Once you’ve chosen reliable family lawyers for your needs, you’ll find the legal process flowing much more smoothly.